Cat owners take note! You can now keep other kitties out of your home with this revolutionary cat door. Let me introduce to you the SureFlap – The Microchip Cat Door.
This revolutionary product was invented by President Nick Hill, Ph.D., of the United Kingdom, to keep other cats from following his kitty, Flipper, from entering his home. Stray cats would follow his kitty in the home, eat his kitty’s food, fight with his kitty, and spray in his home. He needed to find a solution to keep these unwanted cats out. Dr. Hill tried using a standard cat door first – that didn’t work. He then tried a magnetic door – Flipper didn’t like the collar needed to make the door work. What was going to work? Dr. Hill put his mind to work and came up with a cat door that works simply by using the, already implanted by his veternary, microchip in Flipper – thus the birth of the SureFlap.
So you ask, how does the SureFlap work? One simply sets the product to the ‘learn’ mode and allows the cat to pass through the door. The SureFlap’s integrated microchip reader can recognize identities of up to 32 cats. If a stray animal tries to enter the SureFlap won’t work thus not allowing the intruder in.
The beauty of the SureFlap is that it doesn’t run on electricity – so no wiring is needed. Simply install 4 AA batteries. A cat’s microchip identity will be stored in the SureFlap even if batteries are not installed in the unit.
Check out these facts about the SureFlap:
- SureFlap allows only cats whose microchips are stored within the product to enter a home.
- SureFlap is powered by 4 AA batteries and only powers up when a cat tries to enter/leave a home.
- Batteries generally last nearly a year and there’s a low battery indicator on the unit for the owner’s convenience
- SureFlap works with a cat’s existing FDXA, FDXB, or Avid Secure/encrypted microchip (these encompass the vast majority of microchip types).
- SureFlap will work even if a cat wears a collar with a metallic bell or tag.
- SureFlap is currently available in white and brown.
- SureFlap stores the unique microchip identities of up to 32 cats.
- SureFlap is compact and suitable for most cat breeds with its 5.59″ wide by 5.39″ tall entry portal.
- SureFlap is easy to install in doors, windows, and walls. Glass mounting and wall installation kits are available.
- SureFlap may be purchased for $149.99 plus shipping and handling at www.sureflap.com
Should you need a larger model of the SureFlap for a small dog or larger cat – stay tuned as one is currently in the works and should be available this spring (2012).
When I learned of this product I became very excited about sharing it with you. I spend more time than I want to even think about letting a certain few of my cats in and out the back window. This is in addition to them using the doggy door in our screen door on the front of the house. Some of them just think the window is better than walking around the house to come in. Yes, I will admit part of this is my fault, as I trained them to go in and out that window and the front window (trying to save on energy and electric bills), rather than opening the door before we got the doggy door.
I plan to install this unit in my wall under the window on the back of the house. I will train them so they can come in and go out freely using the method suggested by SureFlap. Ultimately, I am hoping this will free up some of my precious time on the ones that are just to lazy too use the doggy door! Stay tuned for an update to this post. It’s a bit early here in NH for us to install this unit but as soon as it warms up long enough so that we can work from both, the inside and outside (we will need to remove siding), the SureFlap is being installed. I will post an update about how our experience of installing the SureFlap went and how my fur babies respond to using it.
SureFlap can be found on Facebook where you can keep abreast on their latest news, products, and contests.