We all are aware of how to get followers using Google Friend Connect using the application. However, did you know you can do much more than having followers join your site with GFC?
|Click the picture to view a larger screen shot|
- You have the ability to send a Newsletter via GFC – I try not to send these often. You don’t want to create over-kill and lose readers/followers. There’s an option for you to preview your newsletter before sending it out – click on preview and send it to yourself. A disclosure is already included in the email for subscribers to unsubscribe should they want to.
- You have the ability to place a Newsletter gadget on your site – This is specifically for you to be able to have someone sign up for your newsletter.
- You can ask visitors when they join your site to subscribe to your newsletter – Simply check the box just above ‘Compose a newsletter’ when you’re under the ‘Newsletter’ tab. You do not need to send a newsletter out to utilize this feature.
- You have access to several gadgets via GFC – You’ll find these under the Gadgets tab
- You can gather your member’s interests – There is a guide under the ‘Interest’ tab you can read to see what it’s all about and give you ideas.
- You can create a Poll gadget – You’ll find this under the ‘Interests’ tab.
- You can moderate your followers – You can view everyone who is a member of your site. You can invite people to join you via GFC. You can block followers from your site.
- You can export your site’s Friend Connect data in JSON and XML as well as CSV format for spreadsheet analysis
- There are Plug-ins & API’s ( I won’t even go there on this one…I don’t know enough about API’s)
- You can create a sign in prompt, a sign out prompt, an un-join prompt and a Join Confirm Message. For instance, I’ve left the sign in and out prompt as what they already have for a default. When one joins my site though, I have a welcome message. Likewise, when they unjoin my site, I have a message simply saying I am sorry to see them go and to feel free to come back anytime.
- View site analytics – See total members and new members over time
As you can see, GFC is a great tool for your site.